Sunday, January 1, 2023

How to Set the Lord Continually Before You

A "Good and Blessed" first morning of the new year to you, (with a reminder of how to ensure this year is both good and blessed.)


In Psalm 16, David reminds us of a great principle and promise of a blessed new year:  "I have set the Lord continually before me; because He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken.  Therefore, my heart is glad and my glory rejoices; my flesh also will dwell securely."  

God's Word is written from His heart to our will.  He calls us to choose to obey.  Verse 6 reminds us that we can choose the attitude of our heart, "The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; indeed, my heritage is beautiful to me."  Our flesh can always find things wrong and complain like the Israelites in the desert, but God reminds us of His blessings and all the good things He has done for us.  Knowing Jesus, His peace and joy, in the middle of every circumstance is a beautiful gift. In the midst of a chaotic shaking world, we have an unshakeable heritage that continually gets better and better forever.   

There is a simple, but practical, discipline to help us to be like David in setting the Lord continually before us, or in choosing to do as Jesus commands and promises in Matthew 6:33, "Seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you." Here is my challenge:  What if your first thought when you wake up would be to thank God for what He has done for you, what if your first words were to speak to Him to express your love and gratitude for what He has given you, and what if your first words to another person were words to express how good the Lord is?  The Holy Spirit's favorite passion is to reveal Jesus and transform our lives to be like His, so even if we don't always remember to do this exercise first thing in the morning, we can do it at any time He prompts us to keep the Lord "continually" before us.  

My prayer for you and me is to ask the Holy Spirit to help us keep the Lord continually before us, and therefore, experience the blessings provided by Jesus through His death and resurrection.  He promises that those who abide in Him will bear eternal fruit, both in us and through us.  Have a good and blessed 2023!

No comments:

Post a Comment