Tuesday, July 19, 2022

Servants are Blessed

I'm Free!  Free to be a servant of the Lord, goes the simple chorus.  Yet, our independent flesh wants to be the boss and not have to listen to anyone, not even God, much less be a servant.  However, clearly man's ways are not God's ways.

In Psalm 143:12, David declares victory over his enemies and great blessings because, "I am Your servant."  He trusts God to teach him to do His will, because "to You I lift up my soul."  Our soul is our inner self, so to lift up your soul means you choose to set you mind and heart and your desires on what pleases God. In other words, lay down what you think and change to desire what He asks, in order to receive the goodness and overcoming life that flows from pleasing your master.  

Psalm 143 continues to remind us of God's faithfulness and righteousness, "Answer me in Your faithfulness, in Your righteousness!" and "Let me hear Your lovingkindness in the morning, for I trust in You."  As sure as God is faithful and righteous, He honors those who honor Him.  As David declares, "Surely goodness and mercy will follow me all of the days of my life."  

A servant looks to his master to know what to do.  Verse 10 is the prayer of a servant, "Teach me to do Your will, for You are my God."  Nothing motivates like having a good reason, and in the next verse God gives it.  "Let Your good Spirit lead me on level ground.  For the sake of Your name, O Lord, revive me."  All the Holy Spirit leading and reviving of abundant life is because that is the way to glorify His name.  Even Psalm 23 gives the same reason, "lead me in the way of righteousness for Thy name's sake."  Do it all for Him, He is worthy.

Servants have a heritage, as expressed in Isaiah 54:17.  "No weapon formed against you will prosper; and every tongue that accuses you in judgment you will condemn.   As servants of God, we are protected from all the power of the enemy and have authority to condemn (render powerless) all those who speak against us.  Servants of God are directed to say continually, "Let the Lord be magnified, who has pleasure in the prosperity of His servant."  Thank you, Jesus, it is well with my soul.  

No comments:

Post a Comment