Monday, May 31, 2021

Strive

Summertime and the living is easy, according to the song.  Almost everyone dreams of relaxing on a beach, or a peaceful time in the mountains, or simply laying around on a cozy couch and enjoying a favorite hobby.  A little R and R, rest and relaxation.  In truth, only rarely do our dreams become reality as life seems to always have extenuating circumstances. This only reflects the fact that true rest and refreshing is much deeper than just having time and less demands. Let's take a look at the foundation of peace in our lives.   

What do you strive for, work for, seek to find?  Most of us want to be content, to be useful, to feel accomplished in the work that we achieve, and.especially in our relationships, have a sense of appreciation, worth, and peace.  However, in our present life this doesn't happen easily.  We have a fallen human nature which is at war with God and the spirit of life and peace.  Romans 7 describes this delemma "I do what I didn't want and I don't do what I want," Frankly, the flesh cannot please God. Therefore, as long as we are living and making decisions based on our thoughts and feelings, or relying on our own abilities, we will always be in turmoil.  With even stronger words, in John 15, Jesus says you can do nothing without Me. 

One of my seniors has been taking classes online while taking care of her 8-month-old baby sister.  So in between classes I like to sing to little Savana, "Jesus loves you, this I know for the Bible tells me so."  The line "they are weak but He is strong" always gets me, because the mistake we grown-ups make is thinking we outgrow this fact, that it is just little ones who are weak. Due to our flesh we are always weak, but it is only in Jesus we are strong.  Doesn't Jesus say to come to Him as a little child or that the greatest in the Kingdom are as a little child.  Slowly but surely, He has shown me this is absolutely true, not to condemn me, but rather to open the door for me to walk in triumph by depending on a Reality that really does accomplish what my soul hungers and longs for.  As Paul stated clearly, when I am weak then I am strong.  Knowing my inability to have or become what I desire sets me free to trust Jesus to be my strength, my song (joy), and my salvation (delivered from all the consequences of sin). When I trust Him to run my life, He is my peace.   

But we do have to strive!  Yes, we must "strive" to enter the rest that Jesus gives. Our striving is not against the pressures of the world, but rather a striving to choose life by submitting to God's provision for us.  We choose life by receiving what Jesus has accomplished for us on the cross.  Romans 8:13 encourages us to put to death the deeds of the body by the Spirit of God.  We have the power and authority to set our minds on the spirit, on things above and not be a slave to our own thoughts and feelings.  God's ways are higher than our ways, and there does remain a rest for the people of God who believe (Hebrews 4:1-11)  The provision is in God's word, which is spirit and life, and builds us up to receive the inheritance gained for us.  

  May I quote a little longer Scripture in Isaiah 28 to make my point? 
     “Whom will he teach knowledge? and whom will he make to understand the message?  Those just weaned from milk?  Those just drawn from the breasts?  For precept must be upon precept, precept upon presecpt, line upon line, line upon line, here a little, there a little.  For with stammering lips and another tongue, He will speak to this people to whom He said, 'This is the rest with which you may cause the weary to rest.  And this is the refreshing."

The Word of God sets us free and accomplishes its purpose.  After our "baby" stage of first coming into God's salvation, He teaches us knowledge, or gives us the ability to know Him, by laying a steady foundation of the Word of God upon which He will build precept upon precept and line upon line in us as we think on His truth and apply what He promises.  We can now live by the Word of God rather than our natural thoughts.  Jesus sent His Spirit to lead us into all truth. 

However, the icing on the cake is the Spirit of God, who teaches us and brings all things that Jesus taught to our remembrance.  He knows our weakness in prayer and is there to help us.  When we pray in the Spirit, with "stammering lips and another tongue," the truth and peaceful assurance of God's perfect rule restores our peace and refreshes our spirit.  There is amazing power in letting the Spirit pray through us, because according to Romans 8:27, He makes intercession for us according to the will of God.  When our heart needs and requests are answered, there is "perfect peace for those whose minds are stayed on thee."  He leads me beside still waters, He restores my soul. 

Take time each day to let the Holy Spirit speak the Word to your heart and pray in the spirit so your spirit is established in the life and peace He has for you.  Strive to enter that rest and refreshing He has provided for His own, by yielding to Him and rejoicing in His righteousness. 


No comments:

Post a Comment