Monday, July 6, 2020

Let Him Who Has Ears to Hear...

This week we had a principal from North Carolina share a prophetic prayer she felt led to pray over CedarWood, our Christian school. We were strongly encouraged by her sending it to us and amazed how God has people in the Body ready to pray for others when called upon.  It reminded me to "listen" for people or situations that He wants me to pray for, which led me to reflect on the somewhat disturbing words of Jesus, "Let him who has ears to hear, hear."  It is our choice.

It seems to me with the myriad of voices and the many conflicting opinions shared in the world, we are trained to take everything with a grain of salt, and simply become "dull of hearing."  Unfortunately, that attitude easily transfers to the way we receive God's Word or the Spirit's promptings. The point is that God's Word is sure, and when the Holy Spirit speaks we need to be like Peter, in Luke 5:5, who after fishing all night thought that fishing during the middle of the day was ridiculous, said, "but at Your Word." and did it.  Obedience always brings results. 
  
One of my favorite short verses is Romans 3:4 which essentially says "let God be true and every man a liar."  Sometimes that liar is me.  When I start doubting God's promptings because it doesn't make sense to me or I don't feel like doing it, I have to remind myself that my thoughts are not His thoughts and my ways are not His ways.  

The Word describes David, as a man after God's own heart, who will do all my will (Acts 13:22)  The more we want to please God, the easier it will be to do what He asks.  Having a willingness to do whatever God asks, makes a huge difference in discerning whether the "nudge" is really from God.  Jesus established this principle at the Feast of Tabernacles when He declared, "If anyone wills to do His will, he shall know concerning the teaching, whether it is from God or whether I speak on My own authority. "
  
My sheep know My voice.  David, in Psalm 85, states his choice, "I will hear what God the Lord will speak, for He will speak peace to HIs people."  Yet why do the vast majority of Christians say God doesn't speak to them?  Here is the dilemma, our flesh says I don't hear God and our spirit says He calls and I follow Him because I know His voice.  Whose report will you believe?  If you do choose to "hear," then take time to be still before Him, to read and agree with the truth of His Word, and to set your will to obey the next prompting that the Holy Spirit gives you.  Write it down so you don't quickly forget it.  Then simply do or receive the word He gives.  Thank Him for speaking to you.  As you willingly are faithful to do the little things such as encourage a coworker, pick up a mess, or let someone know Jesus loves them, to your delight you will become more aware of His leading and have a greater desire to quickly obey next time.  Your faculties are trained by practice to distinguish between good and evil (Hebrews 5:14).  Life becomes an adventure as you see God confirm His Word with signs following.  

God's invitation remains, "Let him who has ears to hear, hear."  It is time to be like Jesus who declared He only said what He heard the Father say, and did what He saw the Father do.  1 John 4:17 says "as He is so are we in this world." We are going to see the Holy Spirit move and accomplish great things, in and through us, as we likewise choose to hear and obey.  

If you are serious, may I suggest a simple prayer.   Holy Spirit, open my heart and mind to receive Your Word and know your voice.  I choose to hear.  I am willing to do Your will and I trust You to lead me into all truth as I hear and obey Your voice.  Help me be faithful in the next thing you speak to me.  I trust You to cause me "to do exceedingly abundantly above all that I could ask or think, according to the power that works in me." (Ephesians 3:20-21) Glory to God Forever! 

No comments:

Post a Comment